I took Olivia back to the doctor this morning. Her antibiotic was finished and she is more congested and her cough is worse. She is wheezing more as well. Unfortunately, her regular doctor is out for the week so we had to see one of her colleagues. She said that her ear looks good but that the wheezing is now in her lungs. She diagnosed her with Bronchiolitis. It is a virus that is can be caused by numerous different things, but mostly RSV. She said that since Olivia has been getting the Synagis shots and that the treatment is the same either way that she was not going to test for RSV for conformation. She also stated that due to the Synagis shot she has a milder case than a child who had not received the shot. She called Olivia a "happy wheezer" because it does not seem to bother her. She said the only thing to do at this point is keep her hydrated, run the vaporizer during nap and at night, and watch her breathing for signs of distress. If she becomes more labored with her breathing they can give her breathing treatments. Of course, I asked if we could just start them now and not wait until she gets worse. She said that it is not a form of treatment for the Bronchiolitis it is just to open up the lungs for easier breathing. Since Olivia is not having "trouble" breathing she feels it will not do any good at this point. She said that in 2 - 7 days we will know if she is going to get better or worse. Of course, as soon as I got home I put a call in for Dr. Tsangeris, the lung doctor, for his advise. He said that he did not think the breathing treatments would help either. He said to see how she does over night and if I feel she is worse in the morning to call and he will see her and give her a treatment in the office to see if it helps. Lets all pray that she gets better and not worse!!! So far Alana is fine. It will be a miracle if she does not catch this too. It is impossible to keep them from sharing toys, steeling each others passy, and eating each others fingers. I am so frustrated that this has happened. I have tried sooooo hard to keep them out of harms way. We have not gone anywhere except for doctors appointments since October. I know they need to be exposed eventually to build antibodies, but I was hoping to keep them well another season. On a good note, Oliva has taken more steps over the last few days. Alana is trying to stand alone more as well. They are both getting more teeth. Alana has started to bite a little. I don't think she realizes what she is doing. I think it just hurts so she uses us as a soother. We quickly tell her no that hurts and give her the teether she is supposed to use. The girls have a couple of new "games" they like to play. Alana will crawl away from Olivia and Olivia will eventually start to follow her. Alana stops to see if Olivia is coming and when she sees that she is she starts laughing and crawls farther away really fast. She then stops again and repeats the cycle. I guess she is playing chase. They also like to get under the exo-saucer at the same time. It is really cute. I know I am slacking on the pictures. I have been focused on getting Olivia better and trying to keep Alana healthy. Hopefully I will get some posted soon.
Monday, February 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
Olivia & Alana are 14 months old today! Hooray! You are a terrific mother and are doing all you can to keep them healthy! I Olivia got the virus at the doctor's office. I wish they could see the girls separately and sanitize carefully before they check them out.
Keep me posted! I'm praying really fervently for Olivia to get better and Alana to stay well!
I hope Zach and you and Elwin all stay healthy!
Love, Mom
Post a Comment